POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : JPG output : Re: JPG output Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPG output
From: J  Grimbert
Date: 24 Dec 1999 02:54:39
Message: <386326C6.6A53A010@atos-group.com>
"Tommy P. Thompson" wrote:

> With Povray, is it possible to output JPG or GIF files? I know there are
> command line options for .bmp, .ppm, and .tga files but no jpg or gif.
> If povray cant do this, then what steps should I take to convert to JPG
> format?. All the povray scenes I see on the net are in JPG format.

I would say that you do not want to raytrace a picture and have the
original result in JPG or GIF.

Why ?

GIF: limited to 256 colours, and some americans would have a legal problem
  with a silly patent on compression.

JPG: the compression algorithm is with loss. Moreover the compression need
a spatial transformation of the picture, which imply you will only have the
file at the very end of the rendering (no Continue)

If you want a modern image format, go for PNG (and its already in POV).
It's lossless, 24 (or even 48 bits), can have alpha information like gif
and has no legal issue!